S/V INTREPID II - Cape Dory Intrepid 40

My photo
Intrepid II is a Cape Dory Intrepid 40 sailboat, hull #2, designed by Chuck Paine and discovered by the Captain in Blue Hill Maine in 2006. The crew are Kelly (Captain) and Carol (Admiral and Blogger). In 2009 INTREPID II embarked on her West Coast journey from Victoria to San Francisco, the Baja Sur Peninsula and into the Sea of Cortez. In 2010/2011, we sailed ifrom Guaymas, south to Bahia Banderas and back. In 2011/2012 she left Guaymas, headed south to La Paz, spent three weeks at anchor on our northward journey and rested on the hard in San Carlos. Her 4th, 5th and 6th seasons were Boat Projects related. Season 7 - we are hoping to cruise again at long last.

October 3, 2010

Alberta Bound and Back - October

Last week we set our compass course for the east towards Alberta and family and friends who had long been waiting to see Captain Kelly.  Well over a year and during some rather subdued times, as family well knows.  Arrangements for our cats were made, thanks to our accommodating house/cat sitters. We left for a quick journey through the mountains and onto the prairies at a lovely time of year - early autumn.  Our first day we travelled as far as Coldstream, arriving on Wednesday evening and found a quiet, but rather spartan room with a lovely view.
View of Coldstream area
Mountain view near Valemont 
Thursday morning we headed north through Blue River, Valemont and Tete Jeune, then turned east towards Mt. Robson.  We passed by Moose Lake, entered Alberta and the mountain time zone and drove on to Jasper for lunch.  The day was cool and windy with leaves swirling about.  It was reminiscent of the dive trips of old and brought back memories of how cold Lake Edith and Annette could be in the Fall!

Our trusty Subaru wagon delivered us to Edmonton just in time for the Yellowhead Trail rush hour, but we soon arrived at the home of our friends Bonnie and Dave to a warm welcome.  We had much to catch up on and did so later the next day as well at "BP" (Boston Pizza).  That had been one of those weekly get-togethers we enjoyed and do miss.  Lots of stories, sharing plans and enjoying each others' company.  Another important visit was to our "Dear Aunt Terry" who is an amazing lady and who retains her sense of humour and concern for others, in the midst of her own challenges. 

Edmonton Art Gallery
There was time for a bit of sight-seeing in downtown Edmonton, including a new Art Gallery and a walk in Churchill Square.
Edmonton skyline
Saturday morning we said our farewells and headed south to Leduc, to catch the last few innings of the University of Calgary Dinos Women's Fastball game.  They have an excellent pitcher in our niece Sarah and a great volunteer coach, Carol's brother Randy.  It was fun to watch a fast-paced game and even better to congratulate them both when the Dinos won.
Sarah in great pitching form
Kelly, Sarah and Coach/Dad Randy
The trip southward  to Calgary was clear and dry.  We enjoyed seeing the farmers at work in the field, rows of baled hay and the changing autumn colours of the trees.
Prairie fields in Fall
As always, we enjoyed the hospitality of family, as we were made comfortable and welcome (thanks Teri).  A lovely dinner out, a family dinner in (thanks Di) provided opportunities to catch up, share plans and enjoy a very short time together - quality, if not quantity. Too soon it was time to leave for home.  We headed westward through Banff, Lake Louise, Yoho and Glacier National Parks and on through Kamploops and Merrit. 
Driving through Rockies
Receding Glacier fields
The glaciers are certainly receding and we decided the park would soon have to be renamed "The National Park formerly known as Glacier" - more sad than humorous.  The weather held for most of the trip, but we were headed into more clouds and rain by the time we reached the Coquihalla route.  Low clouds, heavy rain, bad drivers; everything to make the drive challenging. 
Heavy clouds obscure the peaks
Castle Mountain west of Banff National Park
By the time we reached Hope, we decided to keep on driving.  We arrived at the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal right at 7:00 pm, in time to watch that ferry leave and settled in to wait for the 9:00 pm. 
Ferry line at Tsawassen - almost home
It was a quiet trip and midnight Calgary time by the time our kitties welcomed us home.  Thank goodness we had Tuesday to catch up and "rest" and make plans for tackling the yard. Garry Oak leaves do come down quickly at this time of year.