|INTREPID II in south anchorage Punta Ballandra|
|Another view from our dinghy|
From February 4th to 6th, we were busy people. Boat cleaning, scrubbing, stowing, laundry, provisioning and saying 'hasta luego' to our friends in the works yard, many of the security fellows, Blackie the security dog (hope your leg heals soon - a pox on whomever kicked you!), staff, and the remaining cruisers on the dock and in the anchorage. February 5th was an Independence Day celebration, with Monday being a government holiday, so the marina office was closed. Tuesday morning was rushed for all concerned as we puzzled over incongruous electricity readings, finalized our bill, and received our 'despatcho' which is the port leaving document required by the next Port Captain. In our case, we planned on it being La Paz.
|Departure day - fog and the port was closed|
|Fog rolling in over Punta Haro|
|Foul weather gear in Mexico??|
We will fill in the details in later posts, but this passage was fairly uneventful (thankfully) except that we were dressed for the Pacific Northwest in winter! The full moon came up around 18:45, but was obscured by clouds much of the night; so much for a starry, starry, bright night! However, having its glow even from behind the clouds was comforting as it shone faintly on the rippling water as we made our way south.
|Full Moon rising|
|Sunset and calm seas|
|Spires with osprey nests at San Juanico|
|Closing in on Isla Coronados|
This was our first time into Puerto Ballandra and it is hard to spot. That's why we have cruising guides and way-points to complement our own calculations and observations. There were two boats at anchor, but the south-east side was available, which suited us, as by Saturday the winds were forecast to come from the south east. This anchorage has high hills surrounding it, with scrub and cacti, and some tan coloured cliffs. The south beach off our stern is rocky and does not connect to the NE beach.
|Entering Punta Ballandra on Isla Carmen|
Today, Saturday Feb. 11th, dawned a beautiful clear day and we savoured the view from our back porch. The winds have picked up as we write, so weather guru Geary is on track as usual. There is a bit of calm now at 16:30 pm. It is time to sign off and determine if we stay another day or head southward tomorrow. We have in mind Aqua Verde, south of Puerto Escondido, or San Marte around the southern corner, if the winds do shift back to the north. From there, we might stop at Los Gatos and quite likely drop into San Evaristo and Isla San Francisco on the way to La Paz.
|Gull and cormorants looking westward|