If the southerly corumuel winds don't blow, we should have a calm anchorage; if they do blow, it will be a rocky, restless one. However, this will cut our planned trip south to Bahia de los Muertos by several hours, as it is roughly 60 nm from La Paz and would be a 10 hour trip in good conditions. By Sunday late afternoon we hope to be settled at anchor at Los Muertos, watching the weather and deciding if conditions are favourable to head out Monday for our anticipated 48 hour crossing to the mainland. Los Muertos and Los Frailes are the two most common 'jumping off' spots for cruisers heading towards the mainland and we won't be reinventing the wheel.
Our crossing will be a 2 day, 2 night passage and one many cruisers have done countless times. Still, it is new for us. We think we'll head towards Isla Isabella and the San Blas area, rather than crossing to Mazatlan, then make our way along the coast and into Banderas Bay and the La Cruz anchorage. We are following in the wake of several cruising friends and there are several more boats planning to cross soon (eventually?)
I can't locate a chart to show the East Cape over to the San Blas area, so this one will be a useful reference to follow our travels as we sail south towards Banderas Bay. The next posting likely won't be until we reach San Blas area, so stay well and stay warm! (Request sent to use this map with thanks.)
|San Blas to Banderas Bay is our tentative itinerary this journey|