|San Javier lies south west of Loreto over mainly dirt roads|
(red mark is near P. Escondido)
|Bit of a washout near the Cave painting spot|
|Inspiring interior of Mission San Javier|
References to the Spanish Missions in Baja California state: Between 1744 and 1758, Miguel del Barco was responsible for building what has-been called "the jewel of the Baja California mission churches". By 1817 the mission was deserted as the native population declined and the missionaries were expelled. The church has-been restored and is now maintained by Mexico 's National Institute of Anthropology and History .