|INTREPID II patiently waiting to head offshore|
It is now August 31st - so we go to Plan 'B'. That means be on board INTREPID II by September 5th at the latest and be checking out of Port Angeles, WA on Tuesday, September 8th. Wish us luck. We are so fortunate to have connected with house-sitters who are willing to care for our two cats as well and they are very patient with our fluctuating schedule for leaving. They are live-aboard boaters, so they do understand. How do you get a house that was too full ready for house-sitters, get all the boat projects completed, tackle the projects that arise that were never on the list and maintain your health and sanity at the same time?
Tonight we're still making up our inventory lists - medical, provisioning, where things are to be found (before they are moved to a better spot) and checking off the last minute "to do" items regarding insurance, phones, cars, etc. Our cats are anxious - who wouldn't be with bins everywhere to aid in sorting, piles of books which must be squeezed on board and a definite change in the routine? The good news is that the life raft passed inspection and is re-serviced (all the way to Portland for that); the EPIRB (emergency locator beacon) is registered. We purchased a "SPOT" instrument to let people know where we are from time to time; we have boat insurance, health insurance. We hope Winlink will let us stay in touch with family and friends, but have yet to test it, as we've been tied to the dock.
Sailing friends have offered to be crew for our leg to San Francisco and recently treated us to a meal on board as a way to become familiar with the galley and possibly discover a few items we still require aboard. We've brainstormed about provisioning and will hit the stores in Port Angeles for all those products you can't bring in to the U.S. We've made use of our crew's expertise and time to aid in finalizing projects which must be done before we leave.
We plan to be checking in with the Great Northern Boaters' Net with Barb each day and hope to be on other radio schedules as well as we sail down the coast. The plan is not to harbour-hop, if it can be helped. Whether we'll be 60 nautical miles offshore or "xx" is weather dependent. Wish us fair winds (northwest, 15 - 20 knots would be fine), a lovely sail off Cape Mendocino, minimal fog and we should be smiling as we sail under the Golden Gate Bridge in mid-September. Stay tuned and thanks for the interest and support.
A few photos of what it means to check out every item on your boat to ensure it functions, can be repaired and that you have spare parts.
|Working on mast and rigging|
|Fresh bottom paint, new propeller, new ID on stern|